[Arm-netbook] Fwd: Exynos4412 Quad Core Board

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Wed Jul 11 16:25:06 BST 2012

On 07/11/2012 04:08 PM, freebirds at fastmail.fm wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012, at 09:08 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>> On 07/11/2012 02:51 AM, lkcl luke wrote:
>>> freebirds: note the lack of wifi etc. on the main cpu module.
>>
>> I really don't think you should be encouraging his misguided views...
>> Gordan
>
> First, Gordan Bobic you accuse me of trolling and potentially trashing
> this mailing list. You threaten to unsubscribe if I am not banned from
> this mailing list.

I'm pretty sure I made no call to get you banned. I'm also pretty sure I
didn't accuse you specifically of trashing the list. But I do admit to
beginning to think you are just trolling for the sake of it.

> You repeatedly criticize me, thereby encouraging
> others to criticize me.

I think everyone involved has shown nothing short of exemplary patience
in the face of claims that invited a response of little more than "WTF".

> I can take criticism.  Now you are criticizing
> Luke Leighton for helping me. Thereby, you are also discouraging others
> from helping me.

I don't think your perception is "helping you" is correct. Encouraging
someone's erroneous opinions is hard to consider "helping".

> I joined this mailing list for help choosing what ARM or MIPS devices to
> purchase and how to use them. Since I joined, I purchased a MIPS (Lemote
> Yeeloong) and today will be purchasing an ARM9 (VIA 8650) seven inch
> netbook to keep in my purse and will install Fedora or Debian on it. My
> posts are relevant. Your criticism of me and others helping me and our
> replies are off topic.

While I have sympathy for your issues of getting hacked, I am reasonably
confident that they do not arise from the technologies you are so
concerned about, but from much more obvious, banal, and simpler to
exploit issues - issues that myself and others have already suggested
means for fixing (iptables firewalling, making sure root ssh login is
disabled, making sure telnet is disabled, making sure root password on
your LiveCD is changed away from default, not using Windows at all,
making sure that if you use WiFi that it is WPA2/AES encrypted, getting
something like a WRT54G and configuring it to act as a NAT-ing firewall
for you, etc.) This is really basic stuff and until you have addressed
all those there is no point in worrying about the other issues you keep
voicing concerns about.

> No one disputed that. I do not need to prove that my geolocation was
> tracked via bluetooth. I never ever use bluetooth and remove it. It
> would be irresponsible of me to ignore that bluetooth is trackable and
> buy a device that has bluetooth that is unremovable.

Practically every mobile phone in production today has BT built in. You
don't use a mobile phone? Not to mention that BT has sufficiently short
range (few yards at most) that if somebody can read your BT MAC they are
most likely already in the same room anyway. Geolocation by something
with such short range isn't an entirely logical concern to be having.

Gordan