[Arm-netbook] Removing wifi

Alejandro Mery amery at geeks.cl
Tue Jul 3 19:41:41 BST 2012

Dear Mr. freebirds, please stop breaking the threads and learn to hit
[reply] in your mail client.

On 3 July 2012 20:34,  <freebirds at hushmail.com> wrote:
> Alejandro Mery wrote: "In A10-based boards It's usually a separated
> rtl8188cu module like you can see in the lower-left corner of
> http://i.imgur.com/1xd2j.jpg"
>
> Thank you for the schematic but I cannot recognize the wifi module in the
> lower left corner. In the middle left is a black rectangle that has
> "Realtek" printed on it. Is this the module?

rtl8188cus as "standard" in Allwinner A10-based devices

> I asked my computer geek if he would be willing to desolder the wifi from
> Sunlike AllWinner A10 1 GB netbook. He replied he could destroy the
> motherboard and didn't want to risk it.

can you explain a what do you really need?

> To answer the question what I budget is, I estimate $700 including shipping.
> Previously, I paid more for laptops but they are fragile. I have had two
> cracked screens, one broken DVD player, one broken power adapter plug and
> two broken keyboards. Main problem has been theft.
>
> Thanks for recommending the EOMA-68 CPU Card. I looked at Rhombus Tech's
> website. EOMA-68 will have wifi. Only AllWinner that will not have wifi is
> the Olimex A13. Wifi will be optional. Olimex A13 will only have 512 MB. It
> may be a long wait for an Olimex A13.

EOMA68 is a module that does not include wifi, you can build a
wifi-less laptop board using it. Olimex makes devkits/industrial
extendable boards with lots of pins and large connectors no intended
for netbooks.

Regards,
Alejandro Mery