[Arm-netbook] FSF-Endorseable Processor

jm joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Wed Dec 5 12:29:52 GMT 2012

On Wed, 2012-12-05 at 11:22 +0000, luke.leighton wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 8:25 AM, Simon Kenyon <simon at koala.ie> wrote:
> > On 12/05/12 08:20, luke.leighton wrote:
> >>   so i really really *can't* say "it's open source" - it's too broad.
> >
> > i've got lost in all this. what licence does it use?
>
>  :)   the question itself shows the source of confusion.  hope i can clarify
>
>  * the processor is a proprietary design.  its design (netlists) are
> *not* available under any type of open license or free software
> license.  much as i would like them to be.
>
>  * the processor can run any binaries.  it is, after all, a
> general-purpose processor.  the license of the software that runs on a
> general-purpose processor has absolutely no bearing, relation,
> influence or any correlation OF ANY KIND, and this processor will be
> no exception to that general rule.
>
> so... why bother at all with this exercise?
>
>  * because there does not exist - and i really am not kidding about
> this - there does not exist ANYWHERE in the world a low-power embedded
> processor that is both desirable to mass-volume manufacturers (i.e.
> can do 1080p30 at least and modern 3D graphics) *and* is at the same
> time FSF-Endorseable according to the criteria listed on the FSF's web
> site.
>
> * it just so happens that by _not_ having any proprietary hardware
> acceleration macros (and associated proprietary unreliable software
> libraries) that this makes the development process a hell of a lot
> easier.  that's the business case.
>
> l.

This is tough one Luke.

Yes we all want a CPU that is FSF endorsed.

There are processors like the OpenRISC processor SoC that
has its own assembler and has its own gcc and which compiles
and runs Linux. http://opencores.org/shop,items

How is FSF going to endorse a proprietary CPU against the
the fully open OpenRisc processor without going mad?

Isn't it easier to say the project closed source project but that
its very supportive of open source more than anyone else.
Aims to be like AllWinner but 10x better.

If eliminates FSF and it avoids having to demonize FSF if
they felt unable to endorse.