[Arm-netbook] 12in laptop story

Forum Blogarm.net forum at blogarm.net
Mon Jan 31 21:46:54 GMT 2011

On 31/01/2011 22:06, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

>>>   BOM of about $150 to $160 translates rouughly into $250 to $300
>>> (realistically).  1gb RAM of course :)
>> In that case (and if this time it's REALLY open source friendly) I'm
>> interested ;-)
>   good maan :)
>
>   i'm just investigating the ZMS-08 which someone told me about a
> couple hours ago (thanks to the messages on other forums).  it looks
> absolutely brilliant - the question is: will they allow access to
> their vector processing unit?  if so i can get some funding.
>
> l.

I'm not an expert but i would suggest you to loot at TI's chips. As far
as I remember, they have the best linux support et ARM community I have
ever seen. And you can easily inspirer yourself from their open source
beagleboard (or even pandaboard) motherboard design.

http://www.beagleboard.org
http://www.pandaboard.org

I have a Tegra 2 ARM netbook (Toshiba AC100) and the hardware is really
nice but the lack of support and cooperation from NVIDIA makes things
very difficult. We are stuck with a .29 kernel and we don't have other
choices than unstable outdated Xorg Drivers. And i don't even speak
about video codecs. So if i could replace this f**** Tegra chip by a
Omap4 chip (also 1ghz dual core), i would do it. They are always up to
date concerning drivers, flash plugins, and video codecs. The community
is big and open. So if i had the skills to do what you're planning to
do, i would choose an Omap chip. You'll save a lot of programming and
porting time.

Best regards,

Tactilofan
http://www.blogarm.net