[Arm-netbook] uh-oh....

Michelle Konzack linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Thu Dec 29 22:00:19 GMT 2011

Hello Gordan Bobic,

> Sure, but I'm talking about a tradeof between performance and openness.
> Very few people have HD videos. Most people are more than happy to make
> do with DVD quality, and 10in devices are typically at most 720p,
> usually 1024x600.

For me it would be emough, if I get a  fast  2D  GPU  which  can  handel
1600x1200/16M on a 19-20" TFT Display for my (industrial)  PanelPC.   Of
course, it must be supported by X.org.

However, it should be a LowPower GPU

> So arguably, what can be done in software is fine for the vast majority
> of users.

Right

> The point I'm getting at is - what happens when the manufacturer decided
> they cannot be bothered to support a particular Xorg ABI any more, or
> they cannot be bothered to update the driver to work with the new Xorg?

Yeah!  I think about this problem since some time...

>  From that point of view, a fully open and supportable crap GPU starts
> to look appealing, since at least you get basic 2D accelerated
> primitives you can use - with a closed GPU you get just a dumb frame
> buffer device. Whether the difference is signifficant enough to matter,
> I don't know.

The question is, in which case do you need a full powered 3D engine?

My PanelPC is considered as Industrial/Lab/Office PC  and  not  resource
hungry consumer suff.

> Gordan

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack

               Internet Service Provider, Cloud Computing
                <http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/>

itsystems at tdnet                     Jabber  linux4michelle at jabber.ccc.de
Owner Michelle Konzack

Gewerbe Strasse 3                   Tel office: +49-176-86004575
77694 Kehl                          Tel mobil:  +49-177-9351947
Germany                             Tel mobil:  +33-6-61925193  (France)

USt-ID:  DE 278 049 239