[Arm-netbook] uh-oh....

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Thu Dec 29 12:33:26 GMT 2011

On 12/29/2011 06:25 AM, lkcl luke wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 1:36 AM, Michelle Konzack
> <linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net>  wrote:
>
>>> Won't the GPU suck up an unreasonable amount of power? What are you
>>> planning to use?
>>
>> YES!  The smallest PCIe GPU I have found is consumimng at least 12 Watt.
>> And you know, upwards is nearly no limit!
>
>   if you've actually got a proper PCI-e slot, there is an SiS one which
> (only!) uses 6 to 8 watts.  i forget the name.  you can get it as an
> off-the-shelf Graphics Card.  i'll try to find it.
>
>   alternatively there is the Volari Z11, it is only 2D, but it is also
> only about 1-2 watts.  it is used in the OpenRD Ultimate.

What's the Volari's idle power draw like? While 1-2W is still a lot on
top of a recent Cortex A9 it might just about be borderline good enough.
Can it do 1080p decoding in realtime? If so then it is probably good
enough for just about every reasonable netbook use - it's not like the
3D engines in Atoms are good enough for gaming.

Gordan