[Arm-netbook] Planned boot process?

Derek LaHousse dlahouss at mtu.edu
Wed Dec 21 17:26:48 GMT 2011

Hello,

I've seen the discussion on putting an I2C EEPROM on the motherboard side of
the PCMCIA, and I think I've understood the discussion about putting a device
tree on that EEPROM.  But how does the CPU-card side boot up?

I've seen lkcl's mention of how ARM does not have a standard method of booting
up, when he described reverse engineering devices.  I also read through some
of the discussion about adding Device Trees to the ARM architecture.  I did not
see whether it was settled.

I have a few guesses, based on the available literature:
1. uBoot, with device tree for CPU-card, loads first.  It enables I2C and
   searches for the EEPROM on the motherboard.  uBoot appends that tree, then
   passes the structure to the OS (generic Linux kernel)
2. uBoot+device tree loads the Linux kernel.  The kernel then goes about
   activating the I2C according to something in the device tree.  This EOMA/
   PCMCIA driver finds the EEPROM, appends the tree, and finishes.
3. Generic Linux kernel somehow boots, reading the device tree for the CPU-card
   first and the motherboard later.

The lichee/v2.6.36 build script attempts to make a uBoot image.  I assume this
is an artifact of the Android device where the code originated.  Will the
AllWinner A10 EOMA/PCMCIA CPU-card have a firmware, an EEPROM, a device tree?

-ManoftheSea
Derek LaHousse