[Arm-netbook] Booting from SD card with switch on so-dimm in other direction ...

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 25 15:43:21 GMT 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Adam Gill <madallig at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK thanks ..... I'm onto them now  ..... there a few electronic shows coming
> up in April which I'll be attending  ...... there's a good chance to find
> similar or better than CT-PC89e
>
> And also if i can complete schematics/gerber file/bom for the so-dimm
> including all the new features - it won't be too expensive to get a few
> proto-types made up at a pcb factory ...
>
> If we can do that --- making the rest of complete netbook will be easy ...

 i've just sent a message to rms and eben moglen, asking them if
they'd like to help in some way to reach people interested in
benefitting from an "openpandora-esque" arm netbook project.  the
success of the openpandora is not so much the device itself but that a
good couple of thousand people were willing to pre-order it and wait
for what has now been two years whilst they fiddled about and designed
it.  i'd like to short-cut that to only a few months, by using as much
pre-designed stuff as possible, with a view to entirely releasing the
design files under GPL licenses.

 even if the project gets "ripped off" i don't actually care and i
don't believe that people who want the machines and have paid for it
up-front would care either: if the rip-off merchants blatantly copy
the design and make them cheap _great_, we ask people if they want to
buy from them instead.

 remember that the core expertise is in getting the SO-DIMM right.
that's a 6 layer board, minimum, with critical timings between RAM and
CPU.  the rest - the main PCB - can be done as a 4 layer board within
as little as 2-3 weeks, and could even be done with CadSoft Eagle or
KiCad.