[Arm-netbook] CT-PC89E - success replicating boot from SDcard with switch in NON-factory-default setting

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 24 13:24:23 GMT 2010

dear kimberly,

i thought you might wish to know that we have successfully identified
the purpose of the switch on the SO-DIMM (photo attached), thus we
have the answer to one of the questions that we asked four weeks ago
and thus do not need to take your engineer's valuable time in
answering.

using this switch, we have been able to successfully boot the CT-PC89E
from an external SD card.

what that means is that we can now begin reverse-engineering the
u-boot source code.  in actual fact, we will not need to perform any
reverse-engineering at all, we will simply be able to use existing
u-boot GPL releases, and, in combination with the information learned
from the reverse-engineering of the linux kernel, we will simply be
able to go straight to developing a replacement u-boot.

we will then release that source code, just as we have released the
linux kernel source code at
https://alioth.debian.org/projects/arm-netbook/ because we respect the
GPL license.

the implications of this are simple: your company will not be known as
the experts who managed to put linux and u-boot onto your _own_
hardware.

as i explained already, by our success in reverse-engineering the
linux kernel, you have lost the opportunity to use the "free
advertising" associated with having "Copyright Chitech 2010" in the
linux kernel source code, distributed to tens of thousands of
engineers world-wide.

and you will now lose the opportunity for the "free advertising"
associated with having "Copyright Chitech 2010" in the u-boot source
code.

the solution is very simple: respect the GPL and LGPL licenses, comply
with them, and provide *all* GPL and LGPL source code WITHOUT
CONDITIONS.

then we will help you.

if you do not comply, we will hunt your product down relentlessly and
will inform all buyers of the non-compliance.  it is very easy to do
this, because your excellent product is the only one that is an 8.9in
ARM netbook.  it is therefore incredibly easy to find:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/277571430/8_9_TFT_LED_2GB_NAND.html

we will be contacting this company and also advising them of the
ongoing GPL violations.

i have said it eight times now, and i will say it again until you
understand and until you comply: i cannot stress enough how important
it is that you comply with the GPL and LGPL.

once you have complied by providing all source code, we will do
absolutely everything that we can to help you make your product the
success that it truly deserves to be.