[Arm-netbook] alternative SO-DIMMS

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 9 13:30:14 GMT 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Michelle Konzack
<linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net> wrote:
> Am 2010-03-09 12:43:48, schrieb Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton:
>>   http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/magniel.com
>
> It tell me it is up, but I get a timeout again...

 weird.

>>  the odroid specs use 4x DDR2 chips, K4T1G084QQ-HCE7, to get 512mb DDR2.
>
> See above.  The SO-Dimm is to small to hold 4 memory chips.

 chitech's (actually Seatron's) 30mm x 70mm SO-DIMM has 2 memory chips
on one side (total of 256mb), and there are 2 unpopulated on the
*other* side of the SO-DIMM (which you can't see from the photo of the
CT-PC89E).

 so it caaan be done, but i realise that it makes the design slightly complex.

> So, iIt seems I can get some EVKits for free including a SO-Dimm of  the
> Marvel Kirkwood 88F6281 (would cost arround 99 Euro @Kago).

 _very_ cool!

... $EUR 99 had better not be the mass-volume price of the SO-DIMM,
though, even if they can do 1200mhz.  the 833mhz Samsung ARM Cortex A8
S5PC100 is $14.50 (and 256mb of DDR2 RAM works out at around $10)
which brings an entire S5PC100-based SO-DIMM in at somewhere around
$32 to $35.

but, yeah: if they already _have_ an SO-DIMM with the kirkwood 88F6281
then that's better than actually having to do a complete design from
scratch.

 ... time to market etc. etc.