[Arm-netbook] alternative SO-DIMMS

Michelle Konzack linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Tue Mar 9 13:08:20 GMT 2010

Hello,

Am 2010-03-09 12:43:48, schrieb Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton:
>   http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/magniel.com

It tell me it is up, but I get a timeout again...

> > I hope, I can get it running fast!  AVNET-MEMEC told me I can  speed  up
> > my design be using there Reference Designs and schematics.
>  excellent.

I hope it is realy useful

>  well i figured that a Micro SD card slot would be better for the
> option to be able to upgrade/replace the OS (at the risk of a speed
> trade-off).  as the SO-DIMM is going to have the general-purpose
> Memory Bus Address and Data lines out on it, you could always put NAND
> flash on the main PCB.

My calculation was based on the SO-Dimm Version which should have the µC
with memory and NAND.

If we design entirely a new board, I think, the space io the base  board
would be enoug.

>  the odroid specs use 4x DDR2 chips, K4T1G084QQ-HCE7, to get 512mb DDR2.

See above.  The SO-Dimm is to small to hod 4 memory chips.

>  so, exactly the same idea: the SO-Dimm contains the CPU, memory and
> NAND Flash (or SD-Card)?

I think, the NAND Flash can replaced without any problems with a SD-Card

> > But I am not sure, whether it has an Ethernet plug
>  that's okay, for the most part, because people can use USB Ethernet dongles.

OK

> > 5)  Infineon    38 US$  2 x 128 MByte DDR2 (quit expensive)
> what about Hynix H5PS1G43EFR?  they are 1gbit DDR2, you should be able
> to get them for $2.30 ea.

You overlook one thing:  19 US$ for a 128 MByte DDR2 was for a Sample
                         and I have already gotten  a  special  price
                         from my distributor. If I buy 40.000 of them
                         I am slightly sure I get  arround  the  same
                         price.

All of my distrbutors like EBV, AVNET-MEMEC, MSC and Rutronik can supply
me with up to 1000 pcs per microchip and if it goes in higher  quantity,
hey have to manage it with the manufacturers.

So, iIt seems I can get some EVKits for free including a SO-Dimm of  the
Marvel Kirkwood 88F6281 (would cost arround 99 Euro @Kago).

The suggestion from Marvel :-) ist a Kirkwood  which  exist  in  800MHz,
1000MHz and 1200MHz versions.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>                 Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/>                   Apt. 917
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/>               50, rue de Soultz
Jabber linux4michelle at jabber.ccc.de           67100 Strabourg/France
IRC    #Debian (irc.icq.com)                  Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ    #328449886                             Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193