[Arm-netbook] alternative SO-DIMMS

Michelle Konzack linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Tue Mar 9 12:04:25 GMT 2010

Hello Luke,

Am 2010-03-09 10:34:49, schrieb Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton:
> > OK, I have contacted EBV and on Wednesday I have a longer call  with  an
> > Application Engineer for the OMAP3530.
>  how about this: http://magniel.com/omapmod.html
>  i know yuli, he may be able to adapt it.

The website does notload (timed out)

> > Kirkwood 88F6281
> > Kirkwood MV78200
> > Armada 300
>  goood stuuuff.

I hope, I can get it running fast!  AVNET-MEMEC told me I can  speed  up
my design be using there Reference Designs and schematics.

It is a little bit picky to get the Marvel on a  SO-Dimm  together  with
512 MByte of Memory and a NAND Flash but it can be done.

However, I have send him the photo of the SO-Dimm JPG you send me and he
told me, that using two big 256 MByte DDR2/3 will be expensive.

> > First had contacted me:  10"2 without SO-DIMM module for 48 US$ @10.000
>  okay... is that including a motherboard?  i'm also assuming that at
> that price, it's without the screen.  however if it _is_ including the
> screen that's pretty damn good.

It is complete (but no webcam) and only the SO-Dimm is missing
But I am not sure, whether it has an Ethernet plug

>  so - ya, exactly what bits can they provide at that price?
>
> > I have asked them whether they can change the Li+ to LiPoly cells.  They
> > are lighter and have bigger capacity.
>
>  ... actually... um... one of the major practical concerns is that
> ARM-based systems are _so_ lightweight - no heatsink or fan and a very
> small battery - that you have to add counterweights at the front,
> because otherwise the device falls over backward, due to the weight of
> the screen.

I have bougt an 8" TouchScreen with 800x600 from Formike and I was realy
surprised when I had the TFT in my hands...  the TFT  Display  has  more
weight as the PCB and the LiPoly together.

The PCB is a little bitbigger then the 8"  TFT  because  it  is  mounted
diectly and on the backside I have a

1)  Formike     65 US$  8" TFT Display KWH080KQ03-F01
2)  SouthRiver  10 US$  LiPoly 3.7V/6Ah (100x125x5mm, ~130g)
3)  TI           7 US$  PMIC with charger
4)  TI          26 US$  Sitara AM3517
5)  Infineon    38 US$  2 x 128 MByte DDR2 (quit expensive)
6)  Micron      22 US$  GByte NAND Flash (comp. 4 GByte version av.)
7)  microSDHC    5 US$  2 x up to 32 GByte
8)  TI           3 US$  ADS7846 TouchScreen Controller
9)  Maxim        5 US$  MAX2769 GPS (wrks with SPI -> NMEA)
10) National    21 US$  LMX9838 BlueTooth

In total 202 US$ + Shiping, VAT, Bank fees and watelese.  PCB  prototype
was arround 1300 Euro (Made-In-Germany :-) do to its size.

In Mass-Production with 10.000 pcs, the 10 main-parts would  cost  under
60 US$...  and the PCB arround 5 Euro.  This is only an overview and all
prices are for Sample-Quantities

But now I have to redesign this pig, because I have a space problem with
Wifi and GSM/UMTS/HSPA.

OK, this is my base config andI like to do it for the  TI OMAP 3530  and
Kirkwood 88F6281.

The battery can be changed to a 12Ah type by doubling the  thickness  to
11,5mm which should be acceptable.

This mean, in total, the TablePC is arround 230x160mm with  a  thickness
of 20-25mm and a weight of 600-1000g depending on the used plastik/GFK.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>                 Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/>                   Apt. 917
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/>               50, rue de Soultz
Jabber linux4michelle at jabber.ccc.de           67100 Strabourg/France
IRC    #Debian (irc.icq.com)                  Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ    #328449886                             Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193