[Arm-netbook] alternative SO-DIMMS

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 9 10:34:49 GMT 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 10:15 PM, Michelle Konzack
<linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net> wrote:

> Holla Liuke,

oh dear :) bonjour, michelle

> OK, I have contacted EBV and on Wednesday I have a longer call  with  an
> Application Engineer for the OMAP3530.

 how about this: http://magniel.com/omapmod.html

 i know yuli, he may be able to adapt it.

> Also I am at AVNET-MEMEC on Thursday in there office  in  Illkirch  near
> Strasbourg with an Application Engineer from Marvel...
>
> Kirkwood 88F6281
> Kirkwood MV78200
> Armada 300

 goood stuuuff.

> Hey Luke...  I let our Chitech burn!  :-D

 hey, this mailing list is about arm netbooks _plural_, not just one.

>> > ...or manufacturer it our own SO-Dimm and buy only the case!
>>  the thought _had_ occurred to me :)  and without the LCD: they put in
>> the industrial-grade one...
>
> I have contacted Manufacturers in China for OEM netbook cases...
>
> First had contacted me:  10"2 without SO-DIMM module for 48 US$ @10.000

 okay... is that including a motherboard?  i'm also assuming that at
that price, it's without the screen.  however if it _is_ including the
screen that's pretty damn good.

 so - ya, exactly what bits can they provide at that price?

> I have asked them whether they can change the Li+ to LiPoly cells.  They
> are lighter and have bigger capacity.

 ... actually... um... one of the major practical concerns is that
ARM-based systems are _so_ lightweight - no heatsink or fan and a very
small battery - that you have to add counterweights at the front,
because otherwise the device falls over backward, due to the weight of
the screen.