[Arm-netbook] CT-PC89E kernel 2.6.24.7 source investigation

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 4 21:31:03 GMT 2010

rrrrright.  couple of things:

1) frans, i worked out a better (easier) way, which is very very
simple: move or remove datang-epc.tar.gz from the firmware flashing SD
card, _but_ place a replacement kernel on it, zImage_dt.  press-hold
both mouse-buttons; u-boot and then the (new) kernel is copied to the
NAND flash, and then the search for datang-epc.tar.gz fails, and
everything stops.  voila.  reboot.  new kernel runs.  repeat.

2) i noticed the tell-tale sign "S3C_LCD got initialized: 180mhz" and
started looking on google for this.  up came the SmartQ5 MID device.
downloaded the source code which was a 2.6.24.7 kernel aaaand bingo,
the subdirectory drivers/video/s3c/ is missing from 2.6.33 stable.
so, that's what we need.

BUT.... unfortunately, looking in the initialisation sequences: check
the next line of the config, it says something about LCD TYPE IN11016
which is that innolux that chitech mentioned.  grep "LCD TYPE"
(whatever) and you get a boat-load of "startup" config files
s3cfb_lte480wv.c for example and that's the point at which we go "o
shit".

why? because that's hard-coded registry / initialisation code
_specifically_ for the innolux 8.9in 1024x600 LCD panel, and we
_ain't_ gonna be reverse-engineering that unless going digging through
the binary kernel zImage_dt.

so - adam: - we _seriously_ need that linux kernel source code.  you
remember i mentioned to you about how device initialisation is
hard-coded into the linux kernel source code?  this is a classic
example.