[Arm-netbook] SATA and IDE memory-addressable ICs

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 9 10:35:05 BST 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Baybal Ni <nikulinpi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>yep.  two, i believe.  and it has integrated OpenGL ES 2.0 3D
>>acceleration.  and HDMI out.  you should see the odroid developer
>>platform videos - http://hardkernel.com http://dev.odroid.com
>
> Display driver, I mean a chip which modulates signal send over lvds
> and manages backlight and hardware contrast.

 no - from what i can gather that's very unusual to have (LVDS
built-in) - the frequencies are astronomically high.  a separate LVDS
driver is not expensive.  also, you simply use a GPIO pin and
Pulse-Width Modulation on a fast timer, there: you have your backlight
power and brightness management.

 almost all of the ARM CPUs that i know of have 18-bit or 24-bit TTL,
which can be connected directly to an LVDS driver chip.   when you get
into the cheap-and-nasty LCD panels, such as the 800x480 ones, you can
connect the TTL pins directly to a TTL compatible LCD panel.

 if there are ARM CPUs out there which have LVDS built-in (of which
there are several variants, including one-channel for smaller panels
and three-channel for the larger panels due to the ridiculous
frequencies that would otherwise be required) i would be extremely
surprised.

 if that's all too expensive (which i doubt) then you can just use
HDMI out, which is direct.

 if i'm wrong about any of the above please do correct me.