[Arm-netbook] next step is a boot image

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Jan 16 19:01:03 GMT 2023

On Mon, Jan 16, 2023 at 6:56 PM Andreas Grapentin <andreas at grapentin.org> wrote:

> I’ve found the parabola image I used back in 2021, and tried to boot it on an EOMA card revision 2.7.4 and a microdesktop revision 1.7

brilliant

> In the process of attaching peripheries, I must have blown something on the microdesktop, the power LED no longer lights up, tested multiple chargers. I’m fairly certain that the LED did light up green when I started working on the board today. Is it possible that I blew a fuse somewhere?

yes it should. no there's no fuse.  you'll need a multimeter, be *careful*.
i suggest taking the Card out.  if it's really borked you can power it
with a 5V USB "charger" cable (into the 2 standard USB sockets).

also, check you inserted the Card correctly: not one row along or one
pin along, and make sure no contact between the two PCBs.

> Apart from that, I currently can’t get the system to boot. I have output from the boot loader, but it’s not much:
>
> U-Boot SPL 2017.01-2 (Jan 18 2017 - 21:30:38)
> DRAM: 2048 MiB
> CPU: 912000000Hz, AXI/AHB/APB: 3/2/2
> Trying to boot from MMC2MMC Device 1 not found
> spl: could not find mmc device. error: -19
> SPL: failed to boot from all boot devices
> ### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

ok if you've no power on the MD then the Level Shifter IC will not
be powered up and the MicroSD card socket obviously
will not be recognised.

> I’m confident that this is salvageable, considering that I do get boot loader output through UART. I’ll keep looking into it. If you have any hints, I’d appreciate it.

it's possible to reconfigure u-boot (etc) to have the OS on the Card's micro-sd.

> in the meantime, I’ll prepare a magnet link / http direct download for the image I’m using, in case it’s useful for someone else. I’ll send those links to the list ASAP.

awesome.