[Arm-netbook] OpenPOWER virtual coffee continues every Tuesday UTC 22:00

Alain D D Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Oct 7 12:56:25 BST 2020

On Tue, Oct 06, 2020 at 10:55:11PM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> continues in 5 mins...

Yes ... I could not join ... I had set up a jitsi meeting early y/day
evening ... Firefox could not see my webcam it could a few days ago - but was
updated on Saturday - which, I suspect, is the issue - nothing else changed.

That FF update also brought in new options "Allow Firefox to send technical and
interaction data to Mozilla" and auto-set to on ... I do not recall that I was
asked :-(

Time to upgrade my desktop to be able to run Brave (which does work with
jitsi). I have run RedHat/CentOS for 25 years, but Centos 8 comes with Gnome
3 -- which I hate with a passion. I could install Xfce - but prefer Mate - so I
am prob going to install Linux Mint - a child of Debian.

My desktop has mirrored disks. I will break the mirror, install on one disk,
preserve the current installation on the other, run up the current system, run
the new one as a virtual machine, configure it, copy stuff over, then boot the
new system native, test, add the old disk as a mirror to the new system (which
current versions of LVM should let me do).

I have been putting this off for far too long :-(

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  https://www.phcomp.co.uk/