[Arm-netbook] Fixing the fex file once and for all

David Niklas doark at mail.com
Thu Jul 18 15:43:57 BST 2019

On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 06:35:53 +0100
Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68
>
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 4:28 AM David Niklas <doark at mail.com> wrote:
>
> > A paper: http://www.literateprogramming.com/knuthweb.pdf
> > Website: http://www.literateprogramming.com/
> > Criticism: http://akkartik.name/post/literate-programming
> >
> > The criticism shows how this method can be taken to an extreme and be
> > a complete waste of everyones time.
>
> "Literally the first line of code shown is a macro to access a field
> for presumably a struct whose definition — whose very type name — we
> haven't even seen yet. "
>
> i stopped reading the akkartik.name post at this point.  use of
> sarcasm to criticise one of the most highly regarded and influential
> people in computer science is just going to piss people off.
>
> #defines are *KNOWN* to be a pre-processor stage.  if you don't know
> that, get f*****g educated for f***'s sake.
>
> i'm getting quite alarmed at the amount of blatant ignorance and
> misinformation about c that seems to be propagating through the
> internet at the moment.
>

> "Let us change our traditional attitude to the construction of
> programs: Instead of imagining that our main task is to instruct a
> computer what to do, let us concentrate rather on explaining to human
> beings what we want a computer to do."
>
> this is why there is an entrepreneur that flatly refuses to employ
> computer science majors: he employs ENGLISH LANGUAGE majors and PAYS
> to have them trained to program.
>
> the reason is extremely simple: they make better communicators, they
> make better team co-workers, they write better documentation and they
> write maintainable and understandable code.
>
> l.

Actually, I just skimmed the article and I was referring to the part of
his post where he criticized the documenting of basic includes (we all
know what stdio.h is). In the case of defines I assumed that he was
talking about things like the common MAX.
I tend to assume people are arguing intelligently. Next time I'll be more
careful when referring you.

But going back to the point of my original email, would literate
programming be any good to you in this case?

Sincerely,
David