[Arm-netbook] [Campaign Question] USB-C is used more and more...

Christopher Havel laserhawk64 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 02:58:50 BST 2018

Quick phone top-post, sorry Luke.

Zap, I will presume for the moment that you have been living under a large
roundish lump of granite for the past year-and-a-half-plus (or perhaps in a
small cave in a particularly remote area) and that Creepy Uncle Google, for
whatever reason, is not working for you.

There is a protocol and a connector at work here. USB 3.1 would be the
protocol, theoretically even faster (and otherwise more capable) than
USB3.0. USB-C is the associated connector, and the two are inextricably
linked - AFAIK, one can *only* use the USB3.1 protocol over a rwo-connector
cable that has at least one end terminated in a USB-C connector.

USB-C is a rectangular-ish connector - its ends are circular but the area
in between is flat so it's not an oval shape. Not sure what the technical
term is - high school geometry was a long time ago indeed. At any rate, the
connector is a little larger than USB Micro. It contains a ridiculous
number of pins for its size... 19 IIRC, but that may be me getting confused
with HDMI and MiniHDMI...

The other thing about the connector is that it's reversible. You can plug
it in upside-down and it will match merrily along as if nothing was
different.

However, it is also yet another freakin' USB connector to keep track of and
require adapters for, and as such, it's completely redundant and
unnecessary. Everyone on earth has already done the USB-A
triple-plug-to-fit dance enough times to be used to it. I have no use for a
standard whose only meaningful advantage is one I don't care about and
whose actual effect is that I need to buy more effing adapters just to make
my stuff work the way it should OOTB.