[Arm-netbook] OT: Librem 5?

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Wed Sep 27 09:58:56 BST 2017

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> writes:

> ---
> crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68
>

> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 1:48 PM, Bill Kontos <vkontogpls at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> nothing in return" my purchase decision will not change. So far all
>> that they lied about was the timeframe at which they would ship the
>> features,
>
>  nooo, they lied - in a deceptive way

Lying in a deceptive way?  Surely not!  ;-)

I think that it's fairly normal practice to omit inconvenient facts in
one's publicity, which is what appears to be the case, although it's
really hard to tell since I didn't see the material in question, and no
citations seem to have been given throughout this discussion, so the
whole thing seems rather like a lot of mumbled rumour.

I suspect that the EOMA crowdfunding, if subjected to the same level of
scrutiny, might also be found wanting.  Did it for instance mention your
qualifications (or lack thereof) in the field of mechanical engineering,
which might be considered a relevant fact when considering funding you
to build a laptop from scratch?  Is that omission a case of lying, be
that in a deceptive way or otherwise?

Looking at the publicity for the phone, I note that I know several of
people involved with this (unless they are using people's photos without
permission, and making up quotes -- which I can always check if that's
what people are trying to say).

Assuming the endorsements are genuine, then I know these people well
enough to know that they'd only endorse something that they genuinely
thought to be a good thing, as I'm pretty sure they all know how easy it
is to tarnish one's reputation.

If there really is something wrong with this project, then point me at
actual evidence (rather than a lot of unsubstantiated assertions), and
I'll pass that on so that those people can withdraw their support before
the crowdfunding succeeds, which should limit the overall damage.

If it all just boils down to making the perfect the enemy of the good,
then I suggest that you stop shouting "Splitters!" at them for using the
word Free when you think they meant Libre, or vice versa, or whatever.

Cheers, Phil.