[Arm-netbook] New Risc-V fully free chip

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Nov 21 10:23:20 GMT 2017

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Bill Kontos <vkontogpls at gmail.com> wrote:

> The A72 which they quote as their target is consuming 700-900 watts
> per core, let alone the entire package. If they can drop power
> consumption that much( assuming a quad core ~75% less power
> consumption) then this is way more revolutionary than I thought.

 there's a paper comparing the two in 45nm, and yes RISC-V was around
half the power.

> Does that cover all the specialized hardware and video accel too?.

 no.

> What's your definition of a monster gpu?

 MALI T650 or so (whatever it is).  not MALI-400, that's "little monster" :)

> Running 1080p at 60hz on a
> browser is a must imo and wether we like it or not wayland is the
> future so it will also need some sort of opengl compliant gpu just for
> futureproofing.

 the initial plan is to use the main processor with some basic SIMD
vector-processing instructions, which in quad-core would be more than
adequate.

 bear in mind this is - preliminarily - to be around a USD $3 SoC with
between 320 and 400 pins.