[Arm-netbook] Building your own keyboard

Christian Kellermann ckeen at pestilenz.org
Fri May 26 20:38:51 BST 2017

* Christopher Havel <laserhawk64 at gmail.com> [170526 18:34]:
> You use the Arduino IDE to program Teensies, IIRC. They might also have
> their own. Code is uploaded directly to a USB port on the Teensy. Have a
> look around --> https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/
>
> You *probably* need a Teensy++ 2.0. That is not a guarantee, just a
> recommendation. I have not myself played around with Teensies, they're
> expensive (relative to Arduino Nano/Micro clones on eBay, and to my typical
> budget) and I tend to think in hardware terms far better than anything
> software/firmware. I can't really help you beyond what I've just written.
>
> The computer doesn't 'see' keymapping. The computer sees a string of
> information that tells it what key was depressed and released and when.
> "Keymap" is where the key is in the matrix, which the computer doesn't care
> about. The computer cares that you pressed the ESC key and released it x
> number of microseconds later, not that it's row 1, column 1 in the matrix.
>
> You should look up the USB HID protocol and the PS/2 keyboard protocol.
> Those will tell you a lot of how the computer 'sees' and 'talks to' a
> keyboard... and how the keyboard 'talks' back.

FWIW there are several keyboard firmware projects out there baset
on Atmega32U4s (The Teensy/ Arduino Pro Micro) and others like the
Teensy++. Check out QMK for example: https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware

Especially the hand wiring guide in the docs directory. I have built
several keyboards with both arduino clones and teensy boards. Works
like a charm.

Kind regards,

Christian

--
May you be peaceful, may you live in safety, may you be free from
suffering, and may you live with ease.