[Arm-netbook] More Libre Hardware Getting Funded

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri May 5 19:27:49 BST 2017

>> The A20 comes with only 1 SATA port (and no other fast port, like PCIe
>> or USB3) and it somehow saturates at 50MB/s when writing, so it's a poor
>> choice for a NAS in general (it's usable, but not great).  The RK3388
>> doesn't even have SATA so it's an even worse choice for a NAS.
>  yehyeh - they're not designed for server-level applications, which is
> great... because EOMA68 is not designed for server-level applications
> either :)

FWIW, I'm using an A20 as a small router+NAS+server and am very
satisfied with it: the limited SATA speed is never the bottleneck since
I connect to it over wifi on one side (where competition with neighbors
and in-house obstacles means I rarely get over 2MB/s) and over DSL on
the other (and here in Canada, DSL speeds haven't changed much over the
last 10 years).

But for a "dedicated" NAS box that can hold up to 6 disks, an A20 would
be a rather odd choice.

        Stefan