[Arm-netbook] microdesktop casework as DXF files for laser-cutting

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Mar 30 14:33:20 BST 2017

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 1:41 PM, Normand Chamberland <gemnoc at gmail.com> wrote:

>>  * the PCB will fall out of the casework (both ways, forwards and
>> backwards).
>

> Actually it won't. :-) It cannot slide frontward due to upper layers
> stopping the DC/VGA ports.

 i noticed that just now on rechecking.

> As for backwards it's more of an issue, only the
> right back corner of the EOMA card receptacle (have no idea how it's called)
> will be stopped by a width of 3mm.

 pcb needs to be completely hidden.

>>  * it will also lift upwards by about... 1mm, rattling around.
>

> Yes that bugs me too.
>

>>  * the middle layers also need to be split into separate halves.
>

> Yes, that's what I did... Not happy with it either as it increases the
> number of parts.

 less material.  less weght and less wastage.

 shift height line up with base and there's automatically one less entire layer.

 if i found a smaller DC jack (not going to do that now) @ 9mm high it
would be one more less layers.

> I went with a case depth approx. equal to the PCB because
> the Crowd Supply page mentions the microdesktop casing to be 4.5 x 4.5
> inches (114mm). But if we can make it deeper and have the separate halves
> connect, it would be much better.

 see what happens

>> right now, the components are in the way.
>>  * the layer below the PCB (with a cutout for the micro-sd card) will
>> be in direct contact with the PCB, preventing heat dissipation
>

> I naively thought that being a low powered CPU, it would not be needed. I
> did mention I know nothing about electronics. :-P

 it's not the card t's the PMIC.  total is 20 watts.  USB is powered
from here as well and the 20 pin header can take up to 7 watts.

>>  * also you notice the cut-away in the corner of the PCB underneath
>> the eject button for the PCMCIA holder? the idea there is to put a
>> small recess (which we have to think how not to interfere with the
>> aesthetics) that will make it easier to eject.
>

> Was wondering about that cut-away. The eject button isn't modelled in the
> microdesktop_model2.stl file.

 i know  it's the wide bit on the right.

> I need to go, I have an idea about holding the PCB but I need to think more
> about it...

 ok.  btw the pcb needs to be hidden from view as well.