[Arm-netbook] microdesktop casework as DXF files for laser-cutting

Normand Chamberland gemnoc at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 03:07:22 GMT 2017

Hello Luke,

On 2017-03-20 at 02:04, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote :
> the new USB connector is 6mm high
>
> the VGA connector and PJ-045 (DC jack) i believe are both 9mm
>
> the micro-sd card slot (on the bottom, other end) is 2mm
>
> the EOMA68 (PCMCIA) is 6mm.
Could you confirm that your microdesktop_prog2.scad file (used to
generated microdesktop_model2.stl) is _not_ up-to-date with these
dimensions? Taking measurements from Mark's FreeCAD file converted from
your stl:

- USB connectors are 6.65mm high rather than 6
- PJ-045 (thin tall one at rear extreme left?) is 11mm high rather than 9
- VGA is 9mm
- microSD slot (at the front under the board I presume) is 1.8mm rather
than 2

Mark, I imported the scad file directly into FreeCAD, import wasn't
perfect but I fixed the issues, all shapes are separate primitive cubes
that can be re-sized through their properties. I left the EOMA-68 card
separate as a mesh to bring the file size down to <160KB.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EXnjMkh8zVNXFvRjA5Qm0tSlU/view?usp=sharing
(apologies for the Google hosting...)

Edit --> Project info reports license as GPLv3 (it's saved into the
document).

On the manufacturing side, I wonder if it may be a good idea to check
the real thickness of the 3mm plywood boards. Due to manufacturing
tolerances, materials provided in sheets are often thinner than their
nominal thickness be it for plywood, plastics etc.

As for the screws, difficult to evaluate from a couple of pictures but
they seem to be M3 socket head, black oxide, with hex nuts at the bottom
(possibly 2 per screw) with some kind of either plastic or vinyl cap.
Nickel plated screws would be better IMHO (considering the hex nuts are
either nickel or zinc) and not prone to rust like black oxyde screws,
but they might be difficult to source and more expensive.

Cheers,

Normand