[Arm-netbook] OT: The U.S. Needs to Stop Lecturing the Rest of the World About Internet Values

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Nov 28 10:23:11 GMT 2016

---

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 10:07 AM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir at cohens.org.il> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 01:27:00AM +0000, Alexander Ross wrote:
>> off topic:
>>
>> I’m finding this insightful as to why luke was treated the way he was by
>> a number of allwinner :( people:
>>
>> http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2016/11/the_u_s_should_stop_lecturing_about_internet_values.html
>>
>> bit in particular i just read:
>
> I mostly liked the bits in the end:
>
> "
>
> When President Obama paraphrases the U.S. cybersecurity strategy at a
> town hall meeting in China as “the more freely information flows, the
> stronger societies become,” China thinks, “You’re a guest and that’s
> just rude.”
>
> When the U.S. says, “We will work with partners in industry, academia,
> and NGOs to harness the power of connection technologies and apply them
> to our diplomatic goals,” Russia thinks, “We were so right to kick out
> those foreign NGOs.”

 https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/11/26/0813222/schools-funded-by-gates-and-zuckerberg-ordered-closed-in-uganda#comments
 https://yro.slashdot.org/story/16/06/18/1919211/bill-gates-donation-of-thousands-of-chickens-rejected-by-bolivia

 professor yunus explains it best, that people need to feel empowered
to uplift *themselves*.

> I love the smell of post-truth in the morning.

:)

> Also, I guess you have a really good internet connection in Shenzen.

 just one that can tolerate openvpn.  the connection speed is around
the 30-50k/sec mark, which is just enough for browsers to not trigger
SSL session establishment timeouts or browser page timeouts on a
regular basis.  in shenzhen where it was around the 10-15k/sec mark,
that was where it was completely intolerable.