[Arm-netbook] "Good enough" computing and the upgrade treadmill

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Jul 26 17:53:29 BST 2016

---

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 3:35 PM, Matt Campbell <mattcampbell at pobox.com> wrote:
> On 7/25/2016 5:59 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>>
>>  $3 / month is the going rate for co-located low-power hosting
>> services with a static IPv4 address.  2gbyte of RAM would be seriously
>> welcome, the hosting company would be delighted to be able to slap
>> more EOMA68-A20 computer cards into a convenient rack, i'm sure
>> they'll take them off your hands.
>

> Interesting. I pay more than that to rent a virtual private server with less
> than 2 GB of RAM. Do you have any links to any such hosting providers in the
> US?

 google "raspberry pi colocated hosting".  of course... you'll end up
with your service having to go through a proprietary arbitrary and
untrustworthy code execution gateway (the GPU) but that's no different
from Intel's backdoor co-processor, so...

 anyway don't expect them to be speed demons - maybe a good idea to
get a cubieboard2 and do some tests, run apache on it etc. etc.

 i strongly advise you to get the 85mbyte/sec "sandisk ultra plus"
micro-sd cards for booting up.