[Arm-netbook] Improv And Operation:Marketing for EMOA-*

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jun 3 13:49:41 BST 2014

Responding belatedly as someone pointed me to this and an article written
online that covered this issue .. I'd like there to be at least public record
somewhere of the reality of things. Personally I had moved on, but as it
apparently continues to circulate and escalate on its own, I feel the need to
respond publicly.

People on the list here can feel free to skip over this email if you were not
involved in the project Luke is referencing, though it does hold a cautionary
tale for anyone who would look to EOMA68 and those behind it as a viable
solution.

On Friday, May 23, 2014 22:59:41 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 5:24 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > I can't speak to the EOMA68 bits as I really have nothing to do with that
> > other than as a potential customer.
>
>  aaron, i'm not sure if you fully understand.  you've been blacklisted
> by my associate.  that is an irreversable decision.  around 2 months
> ago he gave you notice to remove *all* mention of EOMA from *all* web
> sites under your control.

I never received any such notice.

> messing up someone's relationship with a multi-billion dollar factory
> has consequences, ok?

As does taking 1000s of $ from a me as your client and never producing the
promised product.

A realistic appraisal would be to look at QiMOD's string of failures over the
entirety of 2013 that I had absolutely nothing to do with.  QiMOD failed to
meet deadline after deadline that you had set for yourselves. Those failures
stretched out over a long enough period of time that both my own resources for
the projects were exhausted and external sources of funding that were at my
disposal were withdrawn due to the (rightfully) perceived risk in continuing
with QiMOD as hardware partner.

Blaming a possible customer representing a maximum order of 10k pieces (going
back to early 2013, better times indeed) for ruining *your* relationship with
a multi-billion dollar factory is, frankly, astounding. When everything is
riding on such a small order, it becomes obvious just how precarious things
were on the EOMA / QiMOD side.

Given that there are zero other customers banging down your door and that we
*never* signed a production PO, I dare say you are trying to deny
responsibility. Always easier to blame another and let their reputation bear
the consequences of your mistakes?

I hope others thinking of doing business with you take that as the warning it
ought to be.

> you will *never* be a customer of *any* EOMA or QiMod products

This is the definition of a paper tiger.

--
Aaron J. Seigo