[Arm-netbook] Laptop idea

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 11 23:35:44 BST 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 09:12:46PM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 9:00 PM, Andrew M.A. Cater
> <amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I'll buy a 64 bit ARM laptop tomorrow if it will help me do some
> > of the stuff I want to do with higher data rate "stuff" and GNURadio :)
>
>  you've seen the parallela and the zynq zc70xx plans, a gnuradio port
> to the parallela, right?

Yes, I have a Parallella - Kickstarter prototype with small heatsink :(
and I've seen what's been done thus far with GNURadio porting.

It looks as if you can get "stock" GNURadio to run on the ARM cores
and will then need to do quite a bit of programming on the Epiphany cores
to get any use out of them. It looks almost as hard as building a Linux
distribution from scratch :(

A HackRF is coming - see, I had a lot of money and could wait a long time
for Kickstarter projects to come through - but GNURadio looks to need a
large amount of grunt for processing and is a very rapidly moving target
which makes it a lot harder to get to grips with.

It may be that I'm just out of my depth - but it does appear that most
ARM SoC are underpowered for this - even something like the BBB or the
Cubietruck. Any and all contradiction very gratefully received, as ever.

All the very best,

AndyC