[Arm-netbook] Support for sunxi-based ARM systems in d-i

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Apr 27 20:10:54 BST 2014

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 8:54 PM, Ian Campbell <ijc at hellion.org.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-04-27 at 20:32 +0200, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

>>  no uImage is required for sunxi but a uImage is required for *debian
>> installer*.  that is after all the whole point of the exercise.
>
> What on earth are you on about? Debian installer has absolutely no
> requirement for uImage.

 we may be talking at cross-purposes, then.  my understanding of
debian installer is that in its most stripped down form it is the
minimalist netboot system that is typically loaded over PXE networks.

 frans pop before his death kindly created a debian installer kernel
and uImage for the CT-PC89e.  it allowed the people who bought that
ARM-based 9in laptop to boot cleanly off of external media, wipe the
NAND flash as if it was a standard drive.  as the machine came with a
pre-loaded proprietary GPL-violating OS this was kinda important.

 perhaps it would help to clarify what you have in mind, when you hear
the words ¨debian installer¨?