[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 switch / NAS

Justin Cormack justin at specialbusservice.com
Tue Jul 30 19:59:57 BST 2013

http://www.micrel.com/index.php/en/products/lan-solutions/arm-based-ethernet-soc.html

>  thanks arokux.  pci, 2x usb, and there's one with 5 10/100 ports.
> which reminds me of one of the other requirements: auto-sensing
> (reverse-cables) which is normal for gigabit but not so common for
> 10/100.
>
>  but... i think... the complexity of connecting 2 SoCs together, it's
> too much - i think i will go with a plain (dumb) switch IC.  one
> advantage to use an actual arm-based SoC like that, it has USB client
> which would make things much much easier, but even so, it's still a
> hell of a complex software job coordinating 2 SoCs.
>
>  what's peoples' feeling about this?

A dumb switch is very limiting if you eg want to add vlans or firewalling
to individual ports. Its OK if you just have inside and outside firewall.
The nicer boxes use software bridging on the internal side so you can
segment multiple internal networks (eg private, public, DMZ etc).

Justin