[Arm-netbook] IMX6Q quad cores CPU price $20 now?

jm joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Wed Jan 16 14:22:38 GMT 2013

Hi,

IMX6Q quad cores CPU price $20 now?

Farnell are selling 300+ prices at 20 UK pounds
which usually means they got it cheaper than $20
and selling it with mark up + taxes.
http://uk.farnell.com/freescale-semiconductor/mcimx6q5eym10ac/mpu-i-mx6-quad-1ghz-624fcbga/dp/2253171

This does change a lot of things I imagine.
Principally because its potentially putting a quad core
on your lap for about $10 more than allwinner.

Freescale who make IMX6Q are selling developer board
Saberlite at 128.06 UK pounds through Farnell.
I bought one for evaluation and got it today.

Like the GK802, the device boots from a micro SD card
instead of soldered flash - that must save a lot
of costs, as well as making it easy to change out the OS.
Supposedly Linaro runs on saberlite, but I haven't found an image
for it yet.
And freescale have lots of documentation on the chip
which is supposed to be a lot better than wits and allwinner A10.

IMX6Q has 600+ pins and that means a lot more features I imagine.

With $20 price tag, I think definitely a system on module
board is on the cards, but I am not sure now which chip to
give priority - IMX6Q or A10?

If that price point triggers AllWinner and Witstech to widen
their support of general Linux (instead of confining themselves
to minimalist Linux on which Android runs on), then AllWinner
might still be in the race.