[Arm-netbook] EOMA-68 hand-held games console in development

Ottavio Caruso ottavio2006-usenet2012 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 30 11:00:29 BST 2013

On 30 April 2013 09:06, luke.leighton <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
>  then please, very sorry to say, but don't write "quick messages" on a
> technical mailing list!!!  or, take some effort to cut/paste the
> message, insert ">" manually yourself at appropriate line-breaks and
> then reply to that, properly.

At the end of the day this is your home and if you don't want any such
messages I respect that. However before we call all top posters stupid
or lazy, I beg to express my opinion, which is as follows.

I used to be a "taliban" of "no top posting" and other old school Unix
orthodoxy. Then I bought a 4.2'' mobile, and suddenly the world looks
different. I expect the participants to this list to agree with me
that by today's standards a Smartphone is pretty much _the_ computer.

When you view and organize your email on a mobile the text is wrapped
in a completely different way from the PC would do. Top or bottom
posting don't make much sense.

I am able to use bottom posting natively here on my PC but I wouldn't
be able to do that on the Gmail app on my Samsung. By default it
doesn't even append the original text.

You also have the "Respond inline" option which is would theoretically
render the text in standard format, but it's a pain to edit text if
the text itself is long (if you have a mobile try this).

I don't know if there will ever be any better tools for the job
because this is a limitation of touch-screen devices, that you can
edit a couple of words at the time but not entire paragraphs at once.
On the other hand you have other tools on the mobile that you don't
have on the PC, for example voice recognition.

To the modern mobile user these are the possible strategies with
regards to technical mailing lists:

1) Throw away your mobile because it doesn't fit 1991 netiquette
(hardly common sense)
2) Read your email on your mobile but make a bookmarks to yourself and
answer on your PC at night, when your brain is probably cooked
3) Use the above mentioned "Respond inline" option but be prepared to
give up sanity when editing your post.
last but not least, my favourite:
4) Do not include original text (if it's too long) but include
meaningful references to the nature of the discussion to prevent
readers from frying their brains. This is common sense. You can't
expect to reply to a message with a one liner like "Oh yes, I like
that too.". What were you talking about?

Please accept I did not mean to irritate anyone, If you have a better
solution for mobile users let me know.

--
Ottavio