[Arm-netbook] EOMA server standard

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 17:13:26 BST 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:

> Hang on - 24 pins out of 68 are reserved for RGB?!

 28.  leaving 40 for everything else, including 8 for GND and 5V.
scarey, huh? :)

> If there was ever a
> good reason to use a composite video output - this is it.

ah.  considered that, 18 months ago.  rejected it for 2 reasons.  3.

a) composite video however isn't a lowest-common-denominator across a
wide range of SoCs

b) for a 5 to 7in tablet with a low-cost 800x480 LCD (or a 480x320 or
even less), in the critical price-sensitive bracket, you'd need a
converter IC from composite video over to the low-cost RGB/TTL 800x480
LCDs.

c) for the hi-res range, i don't believe that composite video can
really cope with 2048x2048 at 30fps (OMAP3530) or even 1920x1080p60, can
it?  plus, i hate to think of the cost of ICs for conversion from
composite video over to dual-channel LVDS.

so... no.

plus, jammy buggers that we are, those 40^H^H32 remaining pins are
*just* enough for USB3, 1000Eth, SATA and I2C, with 12 pins to spare!

so it's ok.