[Arm-netbook] Debian Wheezy armhf "server" image

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.ru
Sun Nov 4 12:19:58 GMT 2012

On Sun, 4 Nov 2012 11:45:26 +0000
"luke.leighton" <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:

>  ok - roman, please could you create a wiki page and/or send a set of
> step-by-step instructions which includes those links to "your own"
> kernel and bin files.

Hello,

"My own" kernels are available since quite some time ago:
http://romanrm.ru/en/a10/kernel

Along with instructions on how those were made (cross-compiled):
http://romanrm.ru/en/a10/cross-compile-kernel

As for .bin-files, the changes I made to those were to always enable the USB
port used for the built-in WiFi, and also enabling the MK802's mini-USB port
into the OTG mode (so that it can be used as a normal second USB port). I did
not see any value uploading them also separately, if one is so inclined these
are available inside the Debian image and can be studied using the bin2fex tool.

>  that way other people can benefit from what you've done.  otherwise,
> it's very much a "look how clever i am!" thread.

People asked me for a ready-to-use image, which is what was made and announced
in this thread. I am already getting replies from those who requested this
that are already benefitting from it. As for instructions how to make your own
using various step-by-step processes or even scripts, there are already more
than plenty of those -- but "surprisingly" not everyone wants to bother
building an OS image or some graphics driver from scratch, turns out most
people just want to download something that works.

[1]
http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/04/28/how-to-create-your-own-debian-ubuntu-image-for-mele-a1000-allwinner-a10-based-stb/
[2]
http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/06/13/hardware-packs-for-allwinner-a10-devices-and-easier-method-to-create-a-bootable-ubuntu-12-04-sd-card/