[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 FPGA Card

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 14:55:00 GMT 2012

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Dr. David Alan Gilbert
<dave at treblig.org> wrote:
> * Bari Ari (bari at onelabs.com) wrote:
>> Who would be interested in card like this?
>>
>>   http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/fpga_card/
>>
>> An EOMA-68 card which contains an FPGA rather than a CPU.
>>
>> Or would you rather have an A10 card with an FPGA on the same card +
>> extra RAM?
>
> I was the one who added the fpga_card idea; a CPU+FPGA is nicer,
> The FPGA is never going to be as fast as a separate CPU;
> so if you have the two you can do things like use the CPU to program
> the FPGA and do some data capture.
>
> Having said that, there are two downsides to using the CPU+FPGA:
>   1) Probably harder to meet the power consumption limits; so it
> might just be preferable to put the largest FPGA on.
>   2) Same for cost
>   3) Which things do you route to the EOMA connector - the stuff
> from the FPGA or the stuff from the CPU?

 this is what makes the zynq 7030 and its altera equivalent so
interesting: it's a combination of some hard-macros for USB and
Ethernet so that's an easy choice: then there are other pins that
again are an easy choice: high-speed LVDS pins go to the SATA-capable
I/Os.