[Arm-netbook] Improving the wiki, build and test processes for allwinner kernel and ubuntu images for the Mele A1000/A2000

Craig Whitcombe craig.whitcombe at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 12:19:49 BST 2012

Hi,

Today I finally got to sit down and work on getting my Mele A2000 up
and running.

Let's just say that the process could've gone a lot smoother! I had to
bother people in IRC over things as trivial as the username and
password of the image.

Most of my problems were due to the wiki lacking in accurate
information, and being very linux centric.

The noobs will come. It will happen. The media center communities are
all over this device.

You have a choice of either putting up with hundreds of emails to this
distribution list with people asking what you consider stupid
questions, or you can put the foundations in place early and use these
noobs as a resource for testing and verification of the allwinner
kernel

What I propose to do is the following:

We decide now on a linux distro that we will use and stick to. I
propose ubuntu because people have already had good success with that
and the distro itself is very user friendly.
I update the wiki as follows:

Break the existing page down into more sections, some of these newly
created pages will be updated regularly with new .torrent or http
links to the most recent ubuntu.img file, and the most recent
allwinner kernel.deb file. The image file needs a supporting readme!
eg date of build, known issues, post installation steps, correct
username and password etc.

Bandwidth will of course be an issue, so we need to agree on
bittorrent as a supporting distribution mechanism for the image and
kernel.deb updates
Someone will need to build the kernel.deb files
For this we need to come up with a good and complete generic kernel
config and a script to build the packages. Any volunteers for this?

I will start the modifications to the wiki tonight to at least
properly reflect the flashing process of the currently linked image
(for both windows and linux users), and the post installation steps
that are required.

Regards,
Craig

P.S I can use the 'n' word because I am one. It's OUR word :)