[Arm-netbook] Mele A2000 as a Server

cnxsoft cnxsoft at cnx-software.com
Sun Jul 15 13:57:35 BST 2012

On 15/07/2012 17:51, Roman Mamedov wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 05:33:16 -0500
> Rosimildo DaSilva<rosimildo at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Has anyone documented the process to save 100M+ of RAM when GUI is not
>> needed ?
> Hello,
>
> See http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/hacking_the_mele_a1000/server/
>
> Generally you just have to use a kernel configured not to enable the graphics
> hardware. E.g. mine from here: http://media.romanrm.ru/a10/server/
>
> That way you gain 443 MB usable out of 512.
>
> It might be possible to free up 64 MB more, but I believe this requires
> reconfiguring the uboot or changing the script.bin. I did not investigate
> much, 443 MB is enough to me for now.
Also see
http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/hacking_the_mele_a1000/#index5h1
Once you disabled video output completely, you can get 512 MB memory, by
adding mem=512M to the linux boot command line.
See u-boot patch
https://github.com/cnxsoft/a10-config/blob/master/patch/u-boot-rootwait-server.patch

I tested this with memtester, and this seems stable.