[Arm-netbook] Any ARM SoC has Open-Source access to hardware video decoder ?

Michael Zucchi notzed at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 05:21:41 BST 2012

On 02/07/12 00:34, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> While I agree that 3D is nice, the use-cases for it are limited.
> Much more needed is the VPU stuff (hardware video decoder), more than GPU (3D).
> Once any SoC will do VPU, it will become so much more useful...

What's this obsession with video decoding?  Sure it's a nice have, but
really just how many silent hi-def home-theatre set top boxes does the
(esp free software) world need?  Sure i'd like a 1080p XBMC box @ 2W of
silence too, but there has to be more to all these low-power linux-arm
efforts than just even more time spent in front of the idiot box ...

Accelerated 3d can do a bit more than just decode some video frames faster.

e.g.
  - interactive user interfaces
  - animation
  - games
  - accelerating 2d, text, curve rendering
  - real-time simulation display
  - highly parallel computation
  - freeing up the cpu to do useful work that is more likely to be
required when doing those things: when playing a video there usually
isn't much else required.

And it's not like the VPU which just improves the battery life or ups
the decodable resolution/bit-rate, without 3d acceleration some things
just aren't possible at all.  It's not like you can just transcode a
game to a simpler format.

Once you're talking megapixel/HD resolutions, trying to create
interesting and useful user interfaces whilst leaving accelerated opengl
on the floor is a big handicap and you don't want the cpu tied up
pushing so many pixels.  XBMC doesn't work (very well at all) without
accelerated opengl for this very reason (it's not the only reason, but
it helps).

This whole '3d acceleration is not important' line seems a bit of a
short-sighted and blinkered view of how people can use computers.

All new user-facing hardware will have 3d acceleration and that they
have it is reason enough to need it too.