[Arm-netbook] CC3000 Wi-Fi for MCU

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 13:29:43 GMT 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:

>>  you don't understand: i *have* to find a solution.
>
> Fair enough, if that is the view you insist on taking. But it may well
> mean that you end up with no product due to that inflexibility.

 i did not say "it would be the only solution"!

 i did not say "this is the only WIFI module to be sold"!

 did i?

 ... i didn't, did i?

this is about sales.

allow me to tell you about someone i knew - quite young - who went to
work for a jewelry store.  he had a woman come into the store: she
treated him with a distinctly disdainful attitude.  he said "can i
help?" and she pointed to the most expensive and largest necklace in
the store and asked how much it was.

 rather than tell her, he said "oh you wouldn't be able to afford
that, how about this one instead?" and pointed to an item that was a
mere $10,000.

 she walked out.

 what this guy finally understood - through learning to copy the
mannerisms, body-language and attitudes of his colleagues - was that
people *want* to spend money, and if you tell them that they cannot
spend their money on what *they* choose to spend it on, the only
person that loses out is *you*.

 if you turn them away because you do not agree with their principles,
the colour of their skin, age or any other reason, it is... madness.

 so you don't agree that people should have principles of software
freedom *so what*??  that doesn't mean that, as customers, you turn
them away, does it?

 it also does not mean that you turn away those people who do *not*
have principles of software freedom, either, does it?

 so i will find a solution, and i will sell it to those people who
respect software freedom, and it will cost them a fortune and they
will be happy to have paid.

 and for those people who do not respect software freedom, for whom
money and lower-cost is more important, i will find a solution for
them and i will sell it to them, too.

 and, unlike *other* comparable products which are a single monolithic
"everything or nothing" design, each of these groups of people will be
able to choose to take out modular components and swap them around.

 in this way, people will be able to choose whether to respect
software freedom or not respect software freedom, *without* having to
throw away an entire product.

 it's complex to explain but fundamentally very straightforward.