[Arm-netbook] A10 kernel v3.0+

Alec Ari neotheuser at ymail.com
Sun Jan 22 02:03:06 GMT 2012

> From: KillerKink Goh <killerkink at hotmail.sg>
> Subject: Re: [Arm-netbook] A10 kernel v3.0+
> To: <arm-netbook at lists.phcomp.co.uk>
>

> > From: amery at geeks.cl
> > Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 13:52:27 +0100
> > To: arm-netbook at lists.phcomp.co.uk
> > Subject: Re: [Arm-netbook] A10 kernel v3.0+
> >
> > Tom mentioned they are working in porting their 2.6.36
> work upon
> > Linaro's 3.0.8 but it wasn't stable at all, this was
> the motivator for
> > publishing the 2.6.36 tree.
>
> Thanks, Alejandro. Hopefully, v3.0.8 do get release.
>
> > Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 15:39:25 -0800
> > From: neotheuser at ymail.com
> > To: arm-netbook at lists.phcomp.co.uk
> > Subject: Re: [Arm-netbook] A10 kernel v3.0+
> >
> > I took that 2.6.39.4 kernel I was working on and bumped
> it to 3.0.17 upon request with even more code clean-up. I'm
> almost done with the 3.0.17 kernel. Also those build_sun4i*
> scripts were a bit messy, I wrote my own script under 50
> lines, very clean and easy to mess with. I'll be posting my
> changes to the alioth arm-netbook git tree into the
> "lichee/for-next" branch. Might not work as-is on REAL
> hardware considering I didn't test it / can't test it atm.
> >
> > -Alec
> >

> Are all the device drivers forward ported or only the core
> drivers?

The device drivers are forwarded ported for example, the touchscreen, net devices, etc that are used by the sun4i. I am discarding all the source files that are not even being compiled as this is just a waste of space and might not ever be used, and seem awfully irrelevant to the sun4i and sun3i hardware. A lot of stale .c files are in the arm-netbook git tree and I see no use for them, and if people needed that code, it wouldn't have been left out in all the Makefiles.

If somebody wants something completely irrelevant to the sun4i, then it's up to them to forward port that code back in again. I'm only forward porting the necessary code and device drivers (not just the very core drivers) used by sun3i and sun4i. Everything else I'm actually removing, especially the source files that are never even compiled. Also some dead Kconfig options as well are being removed. I'm trying to keep this port upstream as possible, without sacrificing any of the device drivers, but a lot of dead code, un-used code, and irrelevant code to the sun4i and sun3i are being removed. When I push the patch, I'll be sure to cover all the details and make my commit message clear... and not on a single ridiculously long line. I'm doing a whole lot of clean-up and will make working with the kernel code a heck of a lot easier in the long run.

I do have some other projects I'm working on but by the end of next week the patch should be finished and pushed into the lichee/for-next branch. I appreciate your interest!

-Alec