[Arm-netbook] NuSmartTM 2816

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Tue Jan 17 16:50:52 GMT 2012

Bari Ari wrote:
> Any idea of availability and GPL compliance for these, now that they are
> showing them off at CES?
>

> http://www.nufront.com/en/cpzx/eed31e97-d916-4441-8aa1-6f6413a692f9155.html
>
> NuSmartTM 2816 is the world’s first chip to integrate a 2GHz dual-core
> ARM Cortex-A9 processor, multi-core 2D/3D graphics processor, 64bit
> DDR2/3-1066 memory controller, 1080p multi-format video engine, SATA2
> controller, USB2, Ethernet, together with general I/O controllers. By
> leveraging the multi-layer hybrid interconnection technology,
> multi-level fine grain power management technology and advanced 40nm
> manufacture process, NuSmartTM 2816 is very energy efficient consuming
> less than two watts when running at 1.6GHz.

 From what I have seen from these guys so far, they are good at making
noise but not very good with coming up with an actual product. They've
been showing off laptop prototypes based on these chips for ages, yet
you can't actually buy one. By the time they pull their finger out it'll
likely be too little too late.

I'm also not aware of a single consumer grade product using their chips.

Gordan