[Arm-netbook] Microsoft confirms UEFI fears, locks down ARM devices

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sun Jan 15 19:34:00 GMT 2012

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 10:42:34AM -0600, Bari Ari wrote:

> One the other hand Wintel has done a magnificent job of keeping ARM out
> of the notebook/netbook space. Intel has also kept Atom designs from
> offering larger displays and full features in netbooks.

I hadn't realised that Wintel had placed restrictions on max size of: screen, disk/flash_drive,
RAM. Now that I research it - this appears as much MS wanting to restrict sales of
cheaper versions of its OS to smaller machines - ie force people to buy a more expensive version
with bigger hardware -- but since I don't buy MS products I remained blissfully ignorant.

I wonder if this is legal, or if it is simply a case of: want to do business with us you must
dance our tune ?

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/