[Arm-netbook] Microsoft confirms UEFI fears, locks down ARM devices

Vladimir Pantelic vladoman at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 13:54:27 GMT 2012

On 01/15/2012 02:40 PM, lkcl luke wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Vladimir Pantelic<vladoman at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Yes, it takes away full control over the devices out of the hand
>> of the manufacturers. E.g. Google did not chose to forego GPL code in
>> android userspace because they wanted too, but because they felt that
>> it would be hard to force it on manufacturers.
>
>   that's.... not a good reason.  and google is a minority copyright holder.

How is that relevant? Of course Google has no way to force a certain
license onto any open source project, but they have the right to use it
or not. I am quite sure we would not have Linux running on 250 million
mobile phones today had Linux been V3 licensed back when the Android
project was started in 2003

>   i was thinking more along the lines of the major copyright holders.

which of the majority copyright holders do you think are in favor of
GPLv3? Which of the corporate ones like Intel or IBM?