[Arm-netbook] Good netbook based on Cortex-A9

Derek LaHousse dlahouss at mtu.edu
Wed Aug 1 00:52:05 BST 2012

On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 17:28 +0100, lkcl luke wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:
> > No, I just applied some reasoning using a few braincells.
>
> > At some point that approach gets sufficiently farcical that people will
> > just stop using money and go back to good old fashioned bartering. And
> > then we get to see what happens when your self assesment says that you
> > owe the tax man two chickens and a goat. :)
>
>  ha ha.  how much is that in bitcoins? :)  baaaa.
I don't see people accounting their taxes, if it's not in dollars and
cents.  People have a hard enough time filling out the 1040EZ, and
that's two steps away from (x percent up to y, z percent after).

>  bitcoins.  they're mathematically and inviolately hard-limited.
> anyone who understands currencies (the need for gold standards and
> such) like you do should love bitcoin.  what many people don't realise
> is that it is impossible to do "high frequency trading" on bitcoin
> markets, because of the propagation delay inherent in the peer-to-peer
> network on digital signing of bitcoins.  i can't remember if it's half
> an hour or 1 hour but it makes no odds: bitcoin is fundamentally
> immune to the instability effects caused by high-frequency trading
> that other currencies and commodities are susceptible to.
The best time to get into Bitcoins has always been yesterday.  They're
not accepted by enough people to be viable, which stops more people from
adopting them.  They're great if you're trying to launder money, though.

Who does high-frequency trading on currency?  I thought it was done on
worthless pieces of paper that claim you own a share of something....
oh.  I guess that describes money then.

Gold isn't a good standard either.  It's just a commodity like anything
else, with some industrial use and a lot of peer pressure.  We dig more
of this up, and we have more money?  We launch some into space, and the
wealth of the world falls (by more than some electrical connectors
value)?  Like democracy, it's horrible, just no one has found anything
better yet.

Woo woo, the Off-Topic train continues its derailment.