[Arm-netbook] Thoughts on form factor

Baybal Ni nikulinpi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 10:38:58 GMT 2011

Hi people,

I saw a lot of discussion going on possible form factor recently.
I'm still supporting original idea of repurposing pcmcia card format.

Benefits of using PC card are that currently there are cheap
connectors which include both guides and holders/ejectors. Also, pin
type connectors usually do better with high frequency signalling.

Benefits of so-dimm is that you will have much more pins, but the type
of connectors used in this design is not push/pull. Using so-dimm
format will mean that we wouldn't be able to reach the original goal
of having the module installable without disassembly.

It's also possible possible to have a 180 pin edge connector + two pcb
guides and emi shield on card for mechanical sturdiness. It will also
have benefit of being easy to produce. If there are so much concerns
associated with pin count, it may be a solution.

What do you think?