[Arm-netbook] EOMA/CF idea

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Sat Dec 31 00:19:01 GMT 2011

On 12/30/2011 10:58 PM, lkcl luke wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 10:52 PM, jonsmirl at gmail.com<jonsmirl at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> You can run a cloud inside a single machine. Just run a browser and
>> server both on the same box.
>
>   ok, good.
>
>   so now have that browser and server run on the CPU card.  it has a
> cache of your data, your settings, your apps, your passwords and so
> on.
>
>   you can use it offline.
>
>   now your computer's screen breaks.
>
>   ... but it's an "embedded" computer, where all the data is on the NAND flash.

Even on something that is designed with the mentality of "let's weld the
bonnet shut" like Apple products, the screen is still a replaceable item. :)

>   if you could not take the CPU card out, you would be screwed.  you
> would lose everything.
>
>   but with a removable CPU card, that CPU card goes into the
> replacement chassis: no problem.
>
>   so "cloud" is a red herring.  almost.

What happens if your CPU card dies? You still need an external
restoreable backup. And if you can do that, then the advantage of a few
10s of $ for the replacement device from the consumer's point of view is
a somewhat moot point.

As an Android user, I both appreciate the unhealthy privacy aspect of
storing all of one's data in Google's cloud, and the ease with which I
can switch Android devices and still have access to things like my
contacts, calendar, dropbox, etc. seamlessly, even if one of the devices
gets completely destroyed.

Gordan