[Arm-netbook] CT-PC89E kernel hacking progress report

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 19 22:48:31 GMT 2010

ok, i just managed to get the USB hubs initialised successfully: the
USB-OTG clock is used as the source for the USB-OHCI devices (!) all
very weird but hey, who cares.  by getting the correct divider, i now
have the two GL850g hubs correctly recognised, and, because i had
keyboard compiled in (usbhid etc.) was able to confirm that the
keyboard works, too.  all-in-all a good day hacking.

the USB hubs were important to get working as pretty much everything
significant (keyboard, mouse, wifi) hangs off of them.

so we pretty much have everything "functional" that makes it a useable
and useful machine: screen we got last week.

frans set up the project on alioth, and it's been approved: he'll set
up the git repository, upload the 2.6.24.{reallynotsurenow} kernel to
it.

so, it's strictly no longer necessary to have chitech's involvement in
getting a free software kernel on this machine, but it would be nice
if they responded in a positive fashion to the "gpl violations
resolution" message i sent to them a few days ago.  given that it was
written with help from quite a lot of people, including neil brown who
sent a fantastic thoughtful analysis and business case for them to
consider, i think they will think twice about the gpl violation.
exactly what they will _do_ once they've worked out that they need to
release the source code, well, that is up to us, to help them out,
minimise the time they spend and actually help them get working code.

also: frans has been endeavouring to recreate the cramfs (cpio based)
on the flash-updater kernel zImage_dt_update, and again there it's
fits and starts but we've managed to replicate the chitech updater
system: it's just that there appears to be a bit of a problem making
an alternative cramfs, which as yet hasn't been tracked down.

but - for now: we're making good progress.  the next step will be to
update to a 2.6.3x kernel (bjdook's samsung-next branch for example)
and see how that goes - but that can be left for later.