[Arm-netbook] CT-PC89E: Beware of burn-in (power management problems?)

JLB j at twu.net
Fri Feb 26 00:19:23 GMT 2010

Hey gang.

 	The other day, I left my CT-PC89E closed and sitting on my desk
overnight. When I woke up, I found that a peculiar pattern of light and
dark rectangles (somewhat resembling the artwork of Piet Mondrian) had
been burned into the LCD.

 	As best I can tell, the system did something bad to the LCD when
it went into power management mode. I WAS ABLE TO FIX THE BURN-IN (it's
gone now, and the only remnant even vaguely visible is one very faint
horizontal line, which I am now working on fixing) by DISABLING POWER
MANAGEMENT, selecting the kaleidoscope screen saver, LEAVING THE SCREEN
OPEN and letting the unit sit and run the screensaver continuously for 12+
hours.

 	Just thought I'd give you guys a heads-up; I suspect that when the
machine tries to initiate power-saving mode on the screen (and/or when you
close the LCD clamshell; I don't know if the unit even has a sensor for
that!), bad juju happens...

 							--Jessica