[Arm-netbook] ODM ?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 28 13:08:07 BST 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Forum Blogarm.net <forum at blogarm.net> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I am very impressed by the your ability to design your own SO-DIMM and
> adapt the linux kernel to it.
> I had also seen that your able to travel and discuss with manufacturers.
> I'm asking myself a very little question :
> Did you try to contact ODM like
>
> Pegatron
> http://www.liliputing.com/2009/08/pegatron-smartbook-is-thinner-lighter-boxier-than-the-asus-eee-pc-1005ha.html

 1024x600 screen.  not good enough, sadly.

> Quanta
> http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2009/11/19/quanta-android-smartbook-hands-on-photos/
>
> Compal
> http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/04/compal-shows-off-android-running-snapdragon-powered-smartbook/

 can't get specs.  where are the original web sites describing the
specifications?  i see loads of articles with video demos, but nowhere
actually describing a page of specs.

 additionally: yes, again - no retail stores are buying them, so we're
not able to buy them.

 unfortunately, as these companies haven't actually consulted with
anyone (e.g. us) before going ahead, they spend $100,000 on the case
design alone, and a further approx $100,000 on other development
costs, and then "release a video" and expect customers to turn up.

 then, when the potential customers say "we want a 1280x768 screen" or
"we want ubuntu netbook ARM" or "we want SATA" or "we want a PCI-e 3G
internal modem" they go "oh dear: please order 5,000 units and we'll
do it" to which the answer is "you got to be kidding".

 _eventually_ someone's going to get the message and start asking _in advance_.

 now, it seems that phenompanda (#chinalug on irc freenode) is working
for a company that is _just_ in the process of making an ARM netbook.
this would seem, to me, to be a good opportunity to say "please can
you make X".

 on the basis that everyone else has made 1024x600 9in and 10in
systems with maximum 512mb RAM, maximum 6hr battery life and they're
_still_ not being taken up, they might just get the hint that
something with a decent-sized screen, decent battery and sod the fact
that it'd be $250 retail, would actually be worthwhile.